Essar Steel wanted to bring efficiency and speed to its business processes across supply chain, production, stock transfer, and sales. As the company had a global footprint (Asia, Canada, Middle East, and USA), a broad business portfolio, and a wide network of 600 steel retail outlets in India, getting a bird’s eye view to spot trends and derive insights had become a challenge.
More on Essar Steel
The business heads at Essar wanted to analyze buying patterns to reward the company’s loyal steel customers on a regular basis, thus creating the need for business intelligence software. The company found it a complex affair to manually integrate data from variety of existing source systems like JDA, i2, SAP ECC and other legacy platforms. Essar Steel realized that BI could give a common platform that would help it stage, integrate, and present information to its users for their all information needs.
BI system at Essar Steel covers:
Benefits delivered by BI:
- With implementation of BI, Essar Steel achieved consistency in KPI definitions organization-wide.
- Comprehensive dashboards to monitor and measure performance facilitated timely and strategic decisions.
- Reduced time and resources required for data preparation resulted in reduction in TCO for MIS teams at Essar.
- One version of truth created a single and reliable reference for reviews by the management teams.
- The intuitive reporting layer of the BI platform helped the users at Essar Steel become self sufficient on reporting.
This was first published in March 2012