- Establish standard business terminology and value standards for each subject area.
- Develop a business data dictionary that is owned and maintained by a series of business-side data stewards. These individuals should ensure that all terminology is kept up to date and that any associated rules are documented.
- Document the data in your core systems and how it relates to the standard business terminology. This will include data transformation and conversion rules.
- Establish a set of data acceptance criteria and correction methods for your standard business terminology. This should be identified by the business-side data stewards and implemented against each of your core systems (where practical).
- Implement a data profiling program as a production process. You should regularly measure the data quality (and value accuracy) of the data contained within each of your core operational systems.
It's not necessary to implement each of the above steps perfectly. But the more you can implement, the easier it will be to integrate new data into your systems in the future.
This was first published in August 2010